Saturday, October 25, 2008

Karibu Kisumu!

I have safely arrived in Kisumu in western Kenya where I will spend the next six and a half months with my internship. I will return to Nairobi the second week of December for final exams. I will then be travelling for three weeks. My travel plans are still in the works. I have to be back to Nairobi on January 5th (my birthday) for a weeklong seminar to discuss my plans for my second semester research. I will then be back working with my internship in Kisumu from early January until the end of April.

On Thursday I got a taxi from YaYa shopping center near my Nairobi home. The taxi was about 30 minutes late since the two other students he was picking up had slept through their alarms. We students don't respond well to 6am. We thankfully made it to our bus on-time since it was running late. The bus was quite nice - the size of a Coach bus. They gave us a bottle of water, hard-boiled egg, vegetable samosa, and sweet cake. The bus took about 6 hours, it would have been shorter but we blew a tire so we were stopped for an hour as they replaced it.

I met up with my new host mother after lunch. My house in Kisumu is about 4 blocks from the town center. Both my host mom and househelp have been very nice and welcoming. The househelp speaks little to no Engish so I've been able to use my Swahili I've been learning for the past 6 weeks.

On Friday I went to my internship at the OGRA Foundation. I met several of the staff members and one of them is an American from Connecticut who is taking some time off between high school and college. I went with several of my coworkers to 5 different primary schools to take pictures of children to complete their registration for the NHIF - National Hospital Insurance Fund. By doing this, these children can receive free medical care at our rural health clinic in Ombeyi. I also visited the health clinic in Ombeyi which has a pharmacy, exam rooms, laboratory, maternity ward and VCT (voluntary counseling and testing) for HIV. The costs at this clinic are either greatly reduced or free for most patients.

This is my host family's house in Kisumu.


Sophi, our househelp, coming home from the market carrying eggs on her head. Very impressive!

No comments: